We want all of our students to be successful in their studies. Please take a moment to read the following information regarding our courses.
- All students must express a willingness to learn and a genuine interest in animal care.
- All classes have open enrollment. Coursework is designed for career seekers. Some of our students simply wish to learn massage for use with their own pets. NWSAM welcomes all animal lovers, but all students are held to the same high expectations of professionalism and compassion.
- Be certain you are familiar with your state's legal requirements regarding animal massage. Some states have licensing requirements for animal massage (Washington is one). Contact your state or local board of massage or health department for more information.
- A grade of 80% on any quiz or test is required to pass. Quizzes can be retaken as often as you wish online and tests or practical exams can be scheduled for a retest if needed (proctoring fee may apply).
- Distance Learning students are required to have completed all workbook sections before attending a practical workshop.
- Student tuition accounts are required to be current, and students with past due accounts may be asked to leave the course.
- Massage is a physical activity, but one that can be adapted to many situations. Students should be physically able to perform massage-related tasks. (Contact Us for information regarding any accommodations you may need.)
Some classroom basics:
- Be on time. Unless otherwise noted, classes begin at 8:30am and end at 4:30pm. Missed class time due to tardiness or absence must be made up before a student can graduate.
- Wear clothing appropriate to a barn or kennel. Layers work best, as we often move between the classroom and the barn/kennel throughout the day.
- Bring a jacket or sweater for outdoor work.
- Boots are required footwear in the barn. However, you may want to bring slippers or tennis shoes for classroom sessions.
- Don't forget any medications you may need to take during the day.
- Please leave your cell phone, pager, etc in your car or at home. There will be ample breaks to check messages or make calls.
- For safety considerations, we cannot allow your children or pets at any classroom facility while a class is in session.